Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Writing for the Web

When people think "web design," they often focus on the visual design. But the design of the content is equally important. A pretty site without substance is just an empty frame!

One of my big challenges is to understand what my customers want their sites to say. In this case, the customer is the group I work with. I've been meeting regularly with several of them to get opinions about what our group has to offer the people who come to us for help.

After settling on topics to include, part of my job is to locate the information, writing and edit it, and share it back with my coworkers for revisions and corrections.

A few words about writing for the web... Because the web makes it so easy for our attention to wander--there's always a new site to explore--most web writing has to be quick and to the point. I write in a style to help my online readers recognize quickly whether they will find the information they need, so they can decide whether to try another page.